Welcome to the Melton West Primary School website. We hope this provides you with a picture of what our vibrant school has to offer. I would feel very honoured to take you on a school tour, answering any questions you have about what our school has to offer. Please call the office to book a time to meet with me. I know choosing a school for your child is a very important decision. The connection between the school and families is critical for each child’s learning potential. It needs to be a respectful partnership, where people feel valued and their thoughts, concerns and opinions heard.
At Melton West Primary School, we have a strong focus of working as a Professional Learning Community, where there is a shared responsibility for all learners across teams and teachers work collaboratively to determine how best to support student learning based on what they can do and the direction for future learning. Through working as a Professional Learning Community we have created a culture of learning, where professional learning amongst staff is valued and embraced and the confidence children show in their ability to learn is enhanced every day. We have been working hard on increasing our community engagement with families and have a vision to incorporate a culture of learning for our parents so that they too can continue to support their child, as their first teacher. All staff at Melton West Primary School are committed to their work and are well respected educators.
We have a strong focus on ensuring children have a sound understanding of the core subjects of English and Mathematics, as well as enrichment programs such as Art, Science and Physical Education. Information Technology, including computers and iPads, are integrated across the curriculum. We are proud of the reputation we have as a school who respects and values our Indigenous history, through connecting strongly with our parents who have an Indigenous background as well as introducing the local Indigenous language of Woiwurrung in 2015. We have plans to form connections with many of the other culture groups represented at Melton West in the very near future.
We have a developed a vision to provide a safe and supportive learning environment for all students to achieve their full potential. We will do this through an engaging and inclusive curriculum, with high expectations of students as individual learners and thinkers, who become valued members of the wider community. Our values of respect, communication, trust and teamwork all working towards building positive relationships with all, underpin all decisions we make.
I hope you find Melton West Primary School a welcoming place for you and your child. I look forward to meeting you.
High Levels of Learning for All
Principal | Melton West Primary School
Here are links to relevant school policies. Please contact the school office if any further information is required.
Click to see policies
Privacy Impact Assessments
Our curriculum will:
- centre on children learning higher order thinking skills and how to learn and apply knowledge in real life situations
- be child centred and encourage responsibility and ownership. We believe learning should be relevant to the child
- have a commitment to developing positive self esteem, sound values, effective life skills and positive behaviour in our students
- value students for their individual talents and challenge them to achieve their personal best
- encourage open minds, creativity and ingenuity
- aim to develop our students’ critical thinking, decision making and problem solving skills
- encourage our students to have a positive attitude towards mistakes and learn from them
- facilitate student competence and confidence in using technology
- seek to address all learning styles
- aim to support our students’ intellectual, social, emotional, physical and artistic capacities
- use an integrated approach so students can see links between subjects and connect new skills to previous knowledge
- have a commitment to provide our students with additional skills we believe are important in a changing world, including tolerance and empathy for others; reflective learning and thinking; communication skills; multi-cultural understandings; and leadership skills
- effective use of leisure time
- provide opportunities for regular assessment, forming an integral part of our curriculum so student learning can begin from where the student is at, and they can receive on-going feedback about their growth.
Our teachers are highly skilled in working as a Professional Learning Community using data to inform their teaching, and have a commitment towards their ongoing training, learning and development.
School-Wide Positive Behaviour Support
The goal of School-Wide Positive Behaviour Support at Melton West Primary School is to create and maintain a positive and supportive learning environment that enhances our school culture and maximises academic and social growth.
The School-Wide Positive Behaviour Matrix translates Melton West Primary School’s three key expectations – be safe, be respectful and do your best – into expected behaviours.
Please phone the school on 9743 5818 to arrange a tour of the school with the Principal or Assistant Principal.
Our school zone
Findmyschool.vic.gov.au hosts the most up-to-date information about Victorian school zones.
Information on this site is updated in Term 1 each year, ready for the Year 6 to 7 transition period.
To visit the site, see: findmyschool.vic.gov.au
If you have a question about school zones call the VSBA Hotline on 1800 896 950 or email email@example.com
P-2 Assistant Principal
3-6 Assistant Principal
Leading Teachers / Learning Specialists
Prep Leading Teacher
Grade 1/2 Leading Teacher / Leader of English
Grade 3/4 Learning Specialist / Leader of Mathematics
Grade 5 Learning Specialist / Leader of Digital Pedagogies
Grade 6 Learning Specialist / Leader of SWPBS
Bernadette Stepnell (0.8)
Alana Braszell (0.2)
First Aid Officer
Maintenance / Handyman
Prep Art & Music
Prep PE & 1/2 Art
GRIN (Getting Ready in Numeracy) Teacher
Prep Team Leader
Grade 1/2 Team
Grade 1/2 Team Leader
Grade 3 Team
Grade 3 Team Leader
Grade 4 Team
Grade 4 Team Leader
Grade 5 Team
Grade 5 Team Leader
Jayden Spudvilas-Powell (Learning Specialist)
Grade 6 Team
Grade 6 Team Leader
We were allocated $6.4 million in the 2018-19 State Budget. This money will go towards a Master Plan we have been working on for a few years with a workshop architect. The plan includes a repositioning of the front of the school, which will be through Rathdowne Circuit. A new office area and staff room will be built at the end of each building. New student toilets will also be built, as well as a full-size gym, which will include a canteen and the art room.